Despite a booming econmy, state governments wants more money.
On Monday, five states will be hiking their gas taxes according to Fox Business:
- California will see a rise 5.6 cents per gallon, to 47.3 cents per gallon from 41.7 cents.
- Ohio will see an increase of 10.5 cents
- Illinois is seeing a doubling of the gas tax—from 19 cents per gallon to 38 cents
- South Carolina is only seeing a two-cent per gallon hike
- Tennessee is only seeing a modest 1 cent per gallon increase.
According to AAA, Americans who live in the Western U.S. are paying more at the pump than most other places.